Sunday, February 10, 2008

Cannelloni, Catholics and Cold

Hi all
(We welcome one Norah Scanlan to this distinguished mailing list.)
Every year at about this time, Kathy makes cannelloni, using my sister's famous recipe. The papers are stained and tattered, but we have kept the original copy lo these many years. This past Saturday was cooking day. Kathy wisely invited her sisters to come over and help. To get ready, Kathy boiled five boxes of manicotti noodles on Friday night. That took four hours to cook, cut and lay them all out on trays. Saturday Lois and Priscilla arrived and the three sisters set about making the stuffing. My contribution was staying out of the way. I was working on the third edition of my textbook in the next room. I had planned to plug my iPod into my ears so I could concentrate, but it was so much fun listening to the sisters, that I didn’t bother. It was most interesting listening to them decide what to do at each step. They looped around and went this way and that before deciding things.

Kathy is famous for her malapropisms, and she had a doozy yesterday. Discussing Hillary’s chances for the nomination, she said something to the effect that Hillary would do better “without that alabaster around her neck”—referring to Bill. Alabaster, albatross—close enough.

Max was intrigued with the idea of a day being called “Fat Tuesday”. He wound up eating too much and went home sick from school the next day. Shane was at his house this week playing Wii games with him. He said Max can now beat him handily at some of the games, even as Shane honestly tries to win. No need to throw the contests anymore.

I think I was punished for going to Ash Wednesday Mass at work last week. One of the bishops came to celebrate Mass. I ran into a friend in the hallway early Wednesday morning and he reminded me about the Ash Wednesday service. I had never gone to one at work and I was going to pass on this one, but then I remembered that I had told myself I would have a better Lent this year than in years past. Maybe God put that guy in the hallway to remind me of my commitment! Maybe I better go! So I went. We were in an auditorium with no kneelers, of course, so we stood throughout the Mass. Sure enough, I strained my knee standing on the steeply pitched floor. Now I have to rest it for a few more days before I can resume exercising.

During the Mass I looked around and was surprised to see who was there. I felt like I was at a gay/lesbian meeting: “I didn’t know you were Catholic!!”

I am in the midst of planning for the big Spring Career Day on February 29. So far we have 171 employers registered. Looks like it will be another monster day. Now we just have to get the students to come out. We sent 10,000 Career Week calendars in the mail and printed another 10,000 to hand out to classes. Think that will do it?

Should be four degrees tomorrow. Can’t wait!

4 Comments:

At Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:07:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

This is not entirely fair....you get us drooling for the cannelloni and then .......no recipe......you think your knee is hurting, well, my stomach is rumbling from the thought of all that good food (made of course from a time honoured family recipe) without ME there to eat it! Question...how does an Irish person become famous for their cannelloni??!!

 
At Saturday, February 16, 2008 5:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill Clinton is sort of Alabaster in color.

My husband was discussing who to vote for in the primary (we're both registered Democrats) and said that with McCain as the Republican candidate, we'll need a Democrat with lots of testosterone. So we should vote for Hillary.

He wasn't joking either. Though I smiled.

Wouldn't you be allowed to sit down if you needed to during Mass? Surely it's not meant to be a punishment. We have long periods of standing up in the Yom Kippur service and I usually sit down at some point.

So Catholics needs a way to quietly identify each other... hmmm. We Jews (at least the Ashkenazi Jews) quietly whisper "Landtsmann?" And if the person looks puzzled, we drop it. If the person responds: "LANDTSMANN!" and gives a big hug, we know we've met a member of the tribe. ("Landtsmann" = "Person from my homeland.")

 
At Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:53:00 PM, Blogger agoodlistener said...

Rebecca: Kathy is 100% Slovenian, not at all Irish. Does that explain it?

Miriam: Sure, we can sit down, but I kept thinking I'd be OK.

 
At Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:35:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Ah!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home