Monday, January 21, 2008

Dear Abby?

The other day my daughter remarked plaintively, “I miss your blog.” I almost gave in and told her about this one—she does indeed have me wrapped around her little finger—but I resisted the impulse. I had to remind myself why I shut down the original one and went into the Blogger Protection Program. When I want to read her blog, I am always careful to log in under my old user name so it appears to be coming from my original blog.

With this blog, I can express my reality, free from my children’s editing or now ex-daughter-in-law’s censorship. I can say what I like without fear of hurting someone’s feelings or being accused of “misremembering” events.

What I gained in freedom I lost in readership. Before, my blog was read more widely because of the crowd I was running with. I envy my daughter’s long list of commenters. If I told you her address, though, she could find me using the Stat Counter tracking program. She’s not searching for me or anything, this blog would just show up in the “coming from” section. Here is where she can be found, though: forthelongrun dot blogspot dot com.

If I told her about this blog, she would of course mention it to her friends who may or may not read it, but her brothers and aunt and uncle would also find it, and I’d be back where I started, worried about censorship.

Here is an example I something I want to say that I would not want them to know about:

Grandson Max’s dad Shane lives with us. He’s been back in our house for over a year and is likely to stay another year until his alimony commitments have been met. He might be able to afford his own place once that is done. His current girlfriend gave me a DVD for Christmas: a bootleg copy of “I Am Legend”, a movie I planned to see or rent at some point. I put off watching it, and she asked me if I’d seen it yet, and I had to say no and then I finally dropped it into the DVD player.

I wasn’t that comfortable with the idea of a bootleg DVD anyway, and wasn’t quite sure what that meant, but after a few moments it was clear that someone had sat in the movie theater and simply videotaped the entire film and burned it to a DVD. You could see the people in front of him moving around---it was just so strange. I stopped it after a minute or so. The whole idea just made me queasy. The guy stole the movie. I don’t want anything to do with stolen property.

Do I say anything to Shane or his girlfriend? How can I say anything without appearing judgmental or disapproving or ungrateful? I’d like to prevent any more stolen movies from showing up at my house, but how do I do that without damaging our relationship to her or her relationship to Shane? What do I say the next time she asks about it?

3 Comments:

At Monday, January 28, 2008 6:26:00 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Oh my!!! If it were me I would be honest and state that it was my personal standard not to have illegal DVD's in my home...and it is YOUR home.....that she was free to make her own choices, but that was yours. I think when we try to live our lives by rules that bend because we don't want to offend then we are denying our own sense of truth and it causes a breakdown in our own personal walls..the walls that we have set up to protect what is sacred inside of us. I do not think that compromise - in this type of situation - is necessarily GRACE. Far better to set a standard for yourself and consequently for someone who is at least half your age, than to bend and let other peoples morals define your life......as usual, my opinion only!!!! As for the other issue, I will read on!

 
At Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a tough one. How do you say you're uncomfortable with the gift without sounding judgmental of the person who gave it to you? But you know, to give it some perspective, I remember that when I was a young adult, it was considered very sweet to give someone a "mix tape" -- songs you selected and taped from records. Strictly speaking, it probably was copyright violation. Not as blatant as videotaping a movie, but somewhere in the gray area. I can see where some people might classify a gift of a bootleg video in the same area.

Other than that, my approach is usually to delay any comment in unclear situations. Sometimes something happens to clear it up.

I sympathize with how you feel about losing blog readership. I've lost readers since going "subscriber only." But I have to be realistic with myself: I have very low tolerance for conflict and I just don't want my little blog and this outlet of blogging to increase conflict in my life. I think it's OK to want that.

 
At Saturday, February 02, 2008 7:00:00 PM, Blogger agoodlistener said...

Gosh, Rebecca--if only you had strong feelings about it! You inspire me.

Mirty--I probably fall along the continuum with you.

In the end, the point is probably moot. I think the girlfriend is out of the picture now anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home