Friday, February 16, 2007

The Sick Room

Today on the way home from work we were stuck in a long line of cars at a broken traffic light. Kathy was steaming as we inched forward. I kind of enjoyed it, though, since it meant less time I would have to spend in the sick room.

For a couple of weeks now I’ve been in the family room, ensconced in my recliner with my leg elevated and iced. I’m there from the moment we get home from work until it’s time to go to bed. I’m already in bed, since the recliner is also my sleeping quarters. Being able to go to work is a pleasure, though, after spending a week in less comfortable climes including the emergency room and a hospital bed.

This past week we were socked with about sixteen inches of snow (that’s 40 centimeters for our metric friends). It fell over Tuesday and Wednesday, and they closed the university for the first time in many years. Thank goodness our son was here to dig us out. Kathy did her part, as well. All I could do was watch.

Of course it was bitter cold with -20 degree wind chills and someone had to walk the dog twice a day. One evening Kathy took him about three houses down the street and he pooped and then laid down in the snow, looked at her and sighed heavily. He wanted no part of the snow and cold that night. He got up and led her home.

My knee is finally improving, as the swelling has gone down. I’ve started working on bending it further and further each day. I had to postpone my first PT appointment due to the weather, so I’ll go on Tuesday evening. In the past I’ve dreaded such appointments since it seemed the therapist was out to ruin my joints and put me back in the hospital. Job security. This time I think I have a better attitude since I am so anxious to get back to my regular exercise routine.

Kathy reminded me it is a month from today that we leave for the cruise. I can hardly wait.

2 Comments:

At Saturday, February 17, 2007 10:14:00 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I am so glad and thankful that you are on the mend...and I love the story about your dog leading your wife home....how fun and how they (the pets) rule our lives!

 
At Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:15:00 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

I'm glad that little by little your leg is getting better.

If I lived up there, I'd hibernate!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home