Thursday, December 07, 2006

Swimming with Kurt Russell

What are dreams? Random electrical discharges across the brain? Distant memories mixed with recent events? Or are they our way of processing the day’s events? Do they signify anything, if so, what?

Kathy sometimes cries out in her sleep. Someone is after her. She is mad at someone. Once she had won the lottery. She talks a lot in her sleep. It was every night in the year after her mom died. She constantly visited the old house, at first without seeing the new owners and then sometimes getting caught by the people who had moved into her childhood house. All this in her dreams.

The other night Kurt Russell and I were swimming underwater. He was showing me how to stay under for a while without surfacing, as he would when a script called for it, but I already knew how to do that, so we came up laughing together. There was some other actor sitting on the edge of the pool, but who it was has faded now.

Now mind you, I’ve never dreamt of Kurt Russell before. I’ve always like him as an actor, way back when he was in those Mickey Mouse Club movies. Sure, he’s taken some really dumb roles sometimes (“Overboard”, “Escape from New York”), but hey—he’s married to Goldie Hawn who, btw, is finally starting to show her age. Have you seen those “Family Table” ads? So how did he pop into my dreams? Swimming, I understand, since I swim every day at work, but I don’t usually dream about actors. Not even Mariska Hargitay. Darn.

Maybe I want to be Kurt Russell. He sure seems to have a lot of fun.

Ever wake up and try to write down your dreams? Can you even read what you scribbled at 2 a.m.? It never worked for me. Absolutely unintelligible gibberish.

Like my dreams.

3 Comments:

At Friday, December 08, 2006 8:52:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a time when I really did keep a dream journal and trained myself to write down my dreams during that fuzzy just-waking-up time. I ended up with some interesting stuff... I could see patterns once I had several dreams written down. Haven't tried it for a while, but it could be interesting: the "window into the unconscious."

 
At Friday, December 08, 2006 9:32:00 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

hmmmmm
now this is interesting....
maybe, and i say maybe.....you subconciously see some kind of endurance thing in this actor and you are attempting to learn from him (hee hee) or have tht desire in your heart....to endure when some things seem impossible....
just guessing for a laugh! my dream books (i did take a course) are in storage so i can't even cheat and look things up!
but i love the way dreams help us deal with things that we do not even think we need to deal with. they may seem like gibberish, but i am convinced they are not!

 
At Monday, December 11, 2006 2:48:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

I rarely remember my dreams.

That Kurt Russell thing... well... I haven't a clue. I'd rather dream of Mariska also. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home