Saturday, November 25, 2006

I think I blew Black Friday

On that most peculiar of American holidays, Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving), I probably did not make the most of my opportunities. When the kids were little, I would head out early in the morning to our favorite toy store and fill my cart with all sorts of great stuff at 25% to 50% off, as they say. This year, I only needed one thing: A Fisher-Price Digital Camera for kids. I had to take Kathy to work that morning, so I didn’t make the 5:00 a.m. opening of Toys R Us. I rolled into the parking lot at 7:30.

There was a line snaking along the main aisles from the front of the store to I’m not sure where. I asked one guy if he was on line for the checkout and he said, “Yes. Impressive, isn’t it?” I asked a worker if she knew where the camera might be, and she said they had had one left when the store opened. So I followed this girl with an impossibly small butt (see why I don’t like the kids reading this?) to a shelf bereft of Fisher-Price Digital Cameras. All that was left was a sign with a price on it that was ten dollars less than the advertised price.

I got out of there, giving thanks that I didn’t have to while away my morning on that line. Later that night I ordered one on line for about thirty dollars more than the toy store wanted. At least it’s on its way. I hope. They were disappearing literally before my eyes. For instance, I consulted with Kathy on a Walmart price, only to find it suddenly out of stock when I tried to order it. Fisher Price is still advertising it on TV, the devils!

After poring over the ads from the Thanksgiving Day paper, there was really not much I was inspired to buy, so I decided to call SanDisk to fight over an Extreme III SD card that had failed in my camera. All that was on the card were about fifty photos from a reception in Chicago. If they were lost, it wouldn’t be a tragedy.

I have to say the support people at SanDisk are really very nice. One guy told me to buy a card reader, so I did and called back on Friday. The computer wouldn’t even recognize the card reader when the faulty SD card was installed, though it worked fine with another card I bought as a back up. I even offered to trade down to a slower card, but the woman on the phone on Friday said they couldn’t do that, but she would be happy to get me another Extreme III card if I sent back the bad one. Good enough.

The weather has been terrific here, with great sunny days and temperatures in the 60’s (15 to our European readers), so I washed the car, then went out to store advertising memory cards for about fifteen dollars. I bought another SanDisk 1 gig SD card, but just a regular old one—nothing fancy. That afternoon I realized for the first time that my PDA takes SD cards—woo hoo—I’ll have to explore that further.

One more foray into retail took me to Sams Club where I bought a big bottle of Advil and picked up some photos they had developed for me.

So I really did try to get into the spirit of Black Friday, but this year I contributed very little to retail’s bottom line. You just wait till after the New Year—then you’ll really see some spending!

5 Comments:

At Sunday, November 26, 2006 5:35:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I have never ever heard of Black Friday before. That is a new one for me. I can imagine it was not all black, especially if you were chasing around an 'all too tiny butt' in search of wanted goods.I can imagine your wife rolled her eyes when she told you that story..but it was interesting for me to learn that there were 'special days' in the US that I had never heard about, especially after living in Canada for 28 years....I don't think they have a Black Friday..but then Thanksgiving in Canada is a month earlier than you guys celebrate

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 8:37:00 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Toys R Us and Sam's Club all in one day!!! No wonder they call it Black Friday.

 
At Monday, November 27, 2006 5:28:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Sounds like that Advil was a worthy investment! :)

 
At Tuesday, November 28, 2006 5:07:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never shop on BF, but sometimes I'm visiting with friends or relatives who drag me along. It seems like a lot to go through to save ten bucks, especially when you have the day off and the weather is nice. Better things to do. Life is short, etc.

 
At Friday, December 01, 2006 6:17:00 PM, Blogger agoodlistener said...

Rebecca: You had Boxing Day in Canada, and it had nothing to do with fisticuffs, so we now have Black Friday. Meaning the retail business hopes to be operating in the black after that big shopping day. OH--what makes you think I told Kathy the whole story of my adventures? :-))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home