Saturday, December 02, 2006

So, is this bad?

This is something I’ve been thinking about lately: A couple of weeks ago, there was a reading at Mass about the widow who met Jeremiah who asked her to make him something to eat. You may remember the story: she only had a little oil and flour left, and planned to cook something for her and he son, and then that would be it for them. Nothing left to do but die.

So here comes this guy asking for something from someone so poor she was near death. And darned if she didn’t go and do it anyway.

Coupled with this reading was a gospel about the widow who put only a few pennies into the collection basket at the temple, while the fat cats were dropping in some big coin. Jesus pointed out that she gave more than the rich people, since she gave from her need rather than her surplus, as the well to do people were doing.

This has been bothering me for a while. What kind of faith did these people have that they were able to do these things without hesitation? Would I use my last resources to feed some stranger who had just wandered into town? Do I do anything that’s not from my surplus of money or time?

Give till it hurts? I don’t think so. We are pretty comfortable. It’s kind of nice. We are able to help our kids, our grandchild. We have a secret savings account for him. Fourteen years from now, when he is looking at college, we’ll have a little something for him. A church secretary says we give more than most to the parish, and I feel we don’t give enough. I’m up at church a lot lately, doing things that need to be done for some group or other I belong to, but it’s not a big deal. If I weren’t there, I’d just be sitting in my chair reading or at the computer blogging or working.

So where does this leave me? Feeling uncomfortable about being comfortable.

4 Comments:

At Saturday, December 02, 2006 10:49:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I guess it is one of those things that you will never know unless you were in a poverty stricken situation yourself...now you have me thinking as well! It reminds me of a story from when I was last in the Sudan, and one of the pilots told us that someone (someone who had absolutley nothing like you describe) came up to him and gave him a coin to donate to this big evangelist....the issue was not about who the money was going to but that this poor, poor person was giving out of nothing...you have to admire that as a real honourable thing when held up against the light of the scriptures that you quote....

 
At Monday, December 04, 2006 1:36:00 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

When Jesus needed a tomb, he borrowed it from a wealthy man. He taught from a boat belonging to someone who could afford one. He rode a donkey borrowed for an owner... I think that it is not how much you give but the heart you give from.

Having been poor, in actual want, most of my life, I see no virtue in poverty. I have a wealthy Christian friend who drives a Rolls Royce. Other Christians assume that just because he's wealthy, he has no problems so they write him off not realizing he is as needy as the rest of us.

Cash is not the only thing we can give. Enjoy the wealth God sent you just as Abraham, David, Solomon and a host of God's other favorites did.

 
At Monday, December 04, 2006 2:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the story from Jeremiah means that though she was poor, the woman felt abundant in her heart, so she was able to give even when she had few (physical) resources.

I've been on both sides of this -- both giving and asking for money for the congregation. I don't think anyone should give "until it hurts." Giving too much just causes resentment. I think when your heart is full, you give, naturally. It has more to do with heart than wallet. Do what feels right for you now.

I'm sure your grandchild (and his parents) will greatly appreciate the college fund!

(Just my 2 cents.... )

 
At Wednesday, December 06, 2006 3:25:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Miriam, what a wonderful way to phrase it: "... abundant in her heart."

John, I think you are abundant in your heart also. I admire that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home