Friday, November 02, 2007

Witness

Today I had to run an errand for work, so I dropped Kathy off at the house and drove off. This put me home much later than usual, and I when I did get back, our son and his girlfriend were out walking Kodiak. Since this meant I didn’t get my evening exercise, I walked up to church to put away some donated food.

Walking down my street on the way home, I saw this guy climb onto the hood of a car that took off toward me. I thought they were just goofing around, but then he yelled at the driver to stop and let him get off. The car stopped, he jumped down and walked off, missing a sneaker.

I saw it was a young woman driving. She turned around and came back to our house, stopped and asked me if I had seen the guy on her car. I glanced at Kathy, who looked a little dubious. I hesitated a moment and then said yes, I had seen what happened.

“Who was that guy?” I asked her. “He’s the father of my children”, she said through her tears. Wonderful, I thought. Just what I need—some crazy guy coming after me for interfering in a family quarrel. The thing was, she talked about doing a police report and wanted me as a witness. If I had said no, I realized she would once again be alone—her word against his. I couldn’t do that. Some months ago, I pleaded with my niece to file domestic violence charges against her husband. I just have this thing about women who are threatened by idiot men. I’m not in favor of it.

It’s been a few hours now and the police haven’t called me. I suspected she might change her mind. I pray she makes the right choices.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, November 04, 2007 4:22:00 AM, Blogger david santos said...

Please!
Send an email to the Brazil embassj your country and repor the injustice that the brazilian courts are making with this girl

The resignation is to stop the evolution. (David Santos in times without end)

Thank you

 
At Wednesday, November 07, 2007 6:36:00 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

What a thing "to witness" as you put it....even if the cops do not get in touch with you, I admire your open heart and willingness to be there for those who are not as fortunate in life....

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 11:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really intense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home