Saturday, October 27, 2007

Leaves

The other day Max and I were walking Kodiak and we got to talking about how much fun it was to jump into big piles of leaves, lamenting the fact that we did not have our big tree any more. Passing under a shedding maple tree, inspiration apparently struck as Max suddenly cried, “Stuff your pockets!” and I felt little kid fingers tickling my butt as he jammed leaves into my back pocket. He came back to the house with his arms full of leaves and twigs and dumped them onto our front yard. I took out the rakes and we scrounged more leaves from our neighbor’s yard to get some more material for our project. It wasn’t exactly like the old days, but it was better than nothing. So of course it rained overnight and now I have a sodden pile of leaves that don’t even belong to me.

When I was a kid, we had a big back yard, nearly an acre, big enough for a pint size baseball or football field, so that's what we used it for. My friends and I dug a big hole at the very back of the yard for a fort and laid plywood over it for a roof. We furnished it with leaves, of course. Nice dry crunchy comfy leaves. Until the weather changed and the monsoons struck. Then it turned into a smushy slimy mess.

Is there a life lesson here? Perhaps it is simply that some good ideas work great until it rains and the crunch goes right out of them.

2 Comments:

At Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:11:00 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

Maybe you and Max can start a leaf import business for folks who do not have big trees in their yard.

 
At Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:58:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Hmm, I wrote this long comment and it would not post....so lets trry again....you have reminded me of a walk I took with my father under the trees along the canal path..we encountered a little boy (maybe ten years old making big piles of leaves with his feet as he walked home from school dragging not only his feet but his schoolbag. He was in no hurry, just enjoying the sounds and his little heaps of orange, red and brown crispy leaves. This in turn reminded me of my childhood when I used to love to do the same....naturally, when enjoying such simple pleasures you do not anticipate any kind of 'mess' that might follow...just like life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home