Thursday, October 12, 2006

Our mission

You will be pleased to know that our mission at church was a smashing success. We had about 250 people each night. We had a bishop come up from Akron to do a three day mission on the Eucharist. The first night, our pastor asked if I would be the Bishop’s “prop”. I said sure, but I didn’t know what he meant. Here’s what happened: the bishop dressed me in the vestments, explaining what each piece meant. Then I stood in the heavy vestments for the next hour and a half, as he went on to explain the Mass minute by minute. He sent me up to the altar and go through all the motions of the Mass, which was kind of neat. When it came time for the readings, he asked the group, “Where’s my reader?” I raised my hand behind him and everyone laughed. I got up to do the readings, and he said oh no, you’re not allowed, explaining that the priest isn’t supposed to do that part. Anyway, it was kind of fun, and as he said, you can see everything from the priest’s chair.

Of course for the rest of the mission, people were calling me “Father John”. I just countered with “Bless you, my child” and the eighty-year old women really liked that. Several said I looked the part and that I should become a priest. I said, sure, just let me take care of my wife and I’ll get right on that.

On the final night, the nun who helped organize the event told me that the bishop had an emergency and couldn’t make it and he was sending a substitute. I thought she was just messing with me, but it was true. She neglected to tell Annette, the music director, so I told Annette and Annette thought I was messing with her. I said, no, you better get into the sacristy and check it out. I went in a few minutes later and she was getting things settled with the substitute priest.

He did a great job of wrapping everything up and we were glad to have him. We sang our hearts out and had a great time. Later, he remarked to our pastor, “These people really like to participate!” Well, if you get 250 people who really want to be there, you’ll get participation.

Here's a terrific prayer that we used for the first two nights: (feel free to use it)

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going, I do not see the road ahead of me, I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope that I never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I know nothing about it. Therefore, I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. Amen.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, October 14, 2006 6:23:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I so love any kind of image that reminds us that we are on a pilgramage.....

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006 8:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that prayer.

 
At Sunday, October 15, 2006 6:13:00 PM, Blogger agoodlistener said...

Miriam, I thought you would!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home