Sunday, October 08, 2006

Starting over

After a short break, I have recreated my blog here. It is (I hope) anonymous. No one knows about this one except a few people. I had to shut down the old one because of a lack of anonymity. The wrong people could read it. I was too free with my information about who I was and where I was. Fortunately, no one from work ever found it, though some people made noises about looking for me.

Here is a place where I hope I can feel safe to say what I want and express myself without worrying (too much) about what other people think.

The original blog started two years ago. I didn’t know what a blog even was until I started my own. I didn’t know what it was all about. Here is what I learned:

There are some strange people out there.
There are some wonderful people out there.

I have elected to stay with the wonderful people. They cheer me, inspire me and let me know that I’m normal. And human—don’t forget human.

Do I want comments? Of course! I love comments. Some other bloggers know that I am a pretty faithful correspondent. Being relationship oriented anyway, it’s important to me to keep up with my cyber friends. So I try to check in regularly. Do I expect reciprocity? Sure. That’s always nice, but I know that others may not share my need for a relationship.

So this blog is called “Making a Life”. I fretted over what to call it, and what to call myself. The first blog went off in a completely different direction than I had originally planned, so this time I thought I’d think a little more about such a momentous thing as naming and building a blog. This meant answering questions like “Who am I really?” and what pithy statement could adequately capture me and what I am trying to do?

I chose and discarded several names before arriving at this one, once I realized that all I am trying to do is make a life: husband, father, grandfather, worker, church member, thinker, writer. All these roles rolled around in my head until I saw that they all go into…making a life.

7 Comments:

At Monday, October 09, 2006 7:57:00 AM, Blogger Darlene Schacht said...

I'm honored to be your first comment. At least I think I am, unless there are some hiding out waiting moderation. :)

I'm sure I'll be by to visit often! I'm glad that you decided to keep connected.

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 8:39:00 AM, Blogger Dallas said...

I as well am honored to be called a cyber friend. Thanks for including me. Hope all works out for the new blog. I hope I can get back to blogging soon. I have been so busy babysitting that I barely get a chance to myself anymore. God Bless.

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 9:46:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the "Making a Life" title. I guess that's what I'm doing too, though sometimes it feels like life is happening to me, and at times there isn't much I can do to shape it. But there always is... something... that a person can do to shape their life.

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 4:57:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Congratulations, and Welcome Back! So do you want us to link you on our pages or not? Making a life is a great thing, with all of its ups and downs and twists and turns.....My own life has been one big surprise to me, especially the last 8 years, but I am still making it! Just like you.

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 6:07:00 PM, Blogger agoodlistener said...

Au contraire! It is I who is honored to have such friends.
Rebecca and all, certainly you may link to my page and scrap the old one if you like.

 
At Monday, October 09, 2006 8:34:00 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

Welcome back! Welcome back!
I like the new names.
All of them. :)

 
At Tuesday, October 10, 2006 12:36:00 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

I was happy to get your e-mail letting me know where you moved.

I'm glad you were not chased away altogether.

Apparently you and I have been going through some of the same things re kids floundering in relationships recently. My daughter's ex follows my blog to track her down so I'm being more circumspect about what I write recently.

I like your handle of Listener. I think you know where I'm coming from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home