Sunday, May 09, 2010

Sometimes you can't catch a break

I took Friday off to go to the dentist, and decided to get the chest xray that my doctor wanted. So anyway I was in the backyard when our neighbor Aleta called across the yard, “Are you busy?” “What do you need” I asked.

Now for those of you who don’t know Aleta, she is a very nice lady who has been our neighbor for thirty years. She worked as a legal secretary before she retired. She was divorced long before we met her, and several of her kids still live in the area.

She came over and we stood in the driveway while she told me, “I got troubles” and started to cry. She said she had just been diagnosed with breast cancer--and she's 85. She is always in her garden all summer, cutting her grass, weeding—she said, “I’m still going out to buy plants” as if she weren’t going to be around to see them produce vegetables in her garden. Kathy called her later and we reassured her that she was in our prayers.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:06:00 AM, Blogger John Cowart said...

I'm glad that you and Kathy were there for Aleta. Tell that bold spirit to keep on planting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home