Saturday, June 21, 2008

Surgery!

On Tuesday this past week I had my arthroscopic surgery. Kathy and I drove out to a surgery center for the procedure. I was a little skeptical at first, but it turned out to be much nicer than being in the hospital. There were lots of people working there and it was all about me. Afterwards, the doctor told Kathy that I have severe arthritis in my knee, that it is pretty much bone on bone in there, and it would be up to me to decide when to do a knee replacement. He didn’t really see anything in particular that could be causing all the bleeding, but I am hoping that just the fact that he cleaned up some of the arthritis will help.

The first twenty-four hours after the surgery were kind of bad, but after that I started to feel much better. In fact, I feel better now than I have for more than a year, already walking without crutches. The doctor said 5-7 days on crutches, but I didn’t need that much time. I started my own version of physical therapy, with the official visits commencing this coming Wednesday.

I took four days off this week, but I’ll be back to the office on Monday. There’s really no reason to sit around any more. Of course I’ve been working at home, anyway. Once I started to feel better I went right back to my computer. We have a lot to do to get ready for the transition to a new software system, so that’s what I worked on. We are pretty much ready for the switch on Wednesday. This new version will cut staff time spent on paperwork in half or better, so that in itself is worth the price. Speaking of which, the price is ridiculously low, so we are very pleased.

My new monitor arrived this week, and Shane set it up for me, since I was incapacitated. It’s a Dell 20 inch widescreen. The photo software I ordered also came in (Adobe Lightroom), so now I am in business. I started messing around with the photo editing software tonight and I can already see how I can improve my photos. There is a lot to learn, though.

We had something of a gully washer come through here this afternoon with heavy thunderstorms, but our basement is safe. It’s cooled off considerably. Of course we had the AC guy come out to inspect our system today and it was fine. We haven’t used it much yet this season, but when we need it, it’s nice to have it.

We celebrated Max’s sixth birthday last Sunday with a small family picnic at a public park a few blocks away. Mostly the adults chased each other around with water pistols and water balloons. We bought Max some more Lincoln Logs to supplement what we gave him at Christmas. He also got something that lets him create his own aliens—no self respecting six year old should be without one of those. His soccer games are over for now, though they pick up again near the end of summer. It’s an odd schedule. He has decided to work on his goal tending skills for the second season.

Kathy has been nursing me back to health (best move I ever made—marrying a nurse—) She makes sure I take my pills and urges me not to overdo. She played hooky on Friday to she is having a nice three day weekend. I am coming off a six day weekend myself.

1 Comments:

At Saturday, June 28, 2008 3:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your recovery is going well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home